Thursday, April 3, 2014

Movie Review: Incendies

I use to have (well technically I still do) have a separate blog in which I reviewed movies and since Bay Area Style File is now more of a lifestyle blog I wanted to share some of my favorite reviews from that blog (I’ll be deleting it soon) with you.

Here’s the first one!



Incendies is by far one of the best movies of 2011 regardless of the language, and one that I'm rooting for in this years Academy Awards. This Canadian film centers around the step by step journey of twins Jeanne and Simon. Their journey is literally the exact one that  their recently deceased mother took during the time of the Lebanese war. One journey creates the family secret, and the other unravels a  intense family history that has an explosive ending. The performances by both Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin (Jeanne) and Maxim Gaudette  (Simon)were excellent, but the scene stealer is their mother Nawal played by Lubna Azabal. The decision to unfold events in parallel first showing the mothers journey and then her children's along identical paths was genius, not sure if this mimics the play  Scorched , by Wajdi Mouawad which this movie is adapted from. Like many who have reviewed this film no words cannot do it justice. The day after I watch it, it was all I could think about.

If you like this film you may also like Miral which stars Freida Pinto.


Originally Reviewed in February 2012. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...