Thursday, December 12, 2013

Ad-diction: Erykah Badu for Givenchy Spring 14'

While this isn’t necessarily a cover shot, you’ll be seeing these Givenchy Ads featuring a beautifully bald Erykah Badu while flipping through the covers of your favorite fashion magazines. I know in this day and time I should, but I still get really excited when I see beautiful ads or works of art that feature women of color. Well I guess I should still get excited, because it’s still infrequent that Asian, Latina, Black women or men get featured in such a way.  
Photo Credit: Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott / Courtesy of Givenchy vis Style .com

For the these ads which are for Givenchy’s Spring 2014 campaign head designer Riccardo Tisci said he wanted to feature Erykah who he calls “an icon” not to make a statement because she’s black but because he feels  “we are all the same”. Some may argue with him implying he wasn’t trying to make a statement since the campaign also features Maria Borges, Eboni Riley, and Asia Chow, yeap all women “of color”.  I for one look forward to a time when ads like this are just the norm and aren’t perceived to all be making a statement. At the end of the day these shots are absolutely beautiful.

Now I can’t decide to I love these more than the shots of Miss Badu for Tom Ford (gasp at the beauty!) 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...