Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Shoptalk/Q&A: Oakland Surf Club



Wait, there’s a surf shop in Oakland, CA?  That was the same thing I asked myself a couple of months ago when I was driving through downtown and saw and awning that read “Oakland Surf Club” I immediately thought “pot dispensary”. To my pleasant surprise about 1 month later I found that it was actually a Surf Shop. However let me be clear  Oakland Surf Club does carries boards, waxes, fins and all your surfing needs but it also houses an art gallery, magazines, men’s and women’s clothing, men’s grooming, and accessories. It’s also perfectly curated to the city which it resides.  There are some chic casual looks for women regardless of if you’re at the beach, street fair, out for drinks, or just running errands. The same can be said for the men’s selection, which also houses independent brands and even Bay Area based brands like C8C.



Oakland Surf Club opened its doors July 1st and is off to a great start. I had the pleasure to meet the owners Max and Ari during a visit to the shop for a Marshall Nash fitting, and had a chance to go back to have a one on one interview with the couple.  Check out more from Max and Ari of Oakland Surf Club:


Where are you from/What’s your background? (Hometown,
HS/College)?
Max: Manhattan Beach, CA, Mira Costa H.S., UC Santa Barbara
Ari: Oakland, CA (East Oakland), Berkeley H.S., UC Santa Barbara
If you didn’t run this shop what would you be doing?

Ari: Before the shop, I was in men’s styling. So, something in fashion.

Max: Teaching (has a teaching credential and was previously a 1st grade teacher)

I’m born and raised in Oakland, and actual don’t know anyone who surfs. So why a Surf Shop in Oakland?

Max: It was the result of Ari and I working together to create a shop that reflected our interests.

Ari: I was inspired by the lifestyle always and the culture and always wanted to open a shop in Oakland.



What type of customer is an Oakland Surf Club Customer?

Max: So broad so varied from a 50 year old dude who’s been surfing for years to a 16 year old who’s looking for cool clothes. It’s also reflected in the price points which range from free to $1,000. We want this place to have a club house feel. So having an event space/gallery gets people in and many interests are displayed.

Ari: If you want to buy clothes you shouldn’t have to travel to San Francisco or Bay Street. This is a place where kids can feel comfortable, and come hangout.



 How many times a week do you get out and surf?

Ari: I’d just started learning to surf prior to becoming pregnant. I wish I’d gotten into it before.

Max: Depends on the waves. It was harder to do when I was teaching. Anywhere from 3 days a week to 1 time in a month.

Favorite place to surf?

Max: Rincon. (Overall) Ocean Beach (Bay Area). Still new to the bay area, been here for 4 years.

Ari: San Onofre, and Bolinas




Best Surf Gear/ Best non-Surfing Attire?

Max: Kookbox ($1000), Almond boards, and Jon Mangiali Boards ($475)

Ari: Awesome women’s brands Loup, Baggu Leather bags.
 ** All these lines are carried in the shop! 


What’s coming up next for Oakland Surf Club?

Max/Ari: Fall/Winter apparel and new brands

August 10th a Rock and Roll show in the Gallery section of the shop.

Check out more from Oakland Surf Club on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
Locate them:

337 14th Street
Oakland, CA 94612



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I stumbled over here different web address and thought I may as well check things
out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
Here is my blog post - surfboard designs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...