Monday, June 18, 2012

Cover Shots: Joan Smalls W Magazine (July)




I know when I typically do a cover shots post  it's about a cover I love well this time it's different. Let me start off with what I like.
  1.  I like the fact that they have actual models and not actresses on the cover. Yes, I like my models to models and my actresses to act. I'm sure there is some airbrushing but she looks flawless.
  2. I do kind of like the slight nod to the 90's 
Now to what I do not like.

Joan is beautiful so I really hate that they clearly gave her a Beyonce's stage style mixed with some RuPaul  lace front realness. To be honest this could be Beyonce, J Lo or any big time pop star on the cover with this look.  I typically love W covers because they can range from Glam to Goth, but always with a fashion edge. Here I think the  missed the fashion edge mark even though one of the greatest fashion photographers Steven Misel shot the cover (I'm blaming makeup/styling not him).  I know covers are suppose to lure the reader in, but this one makes me look just at the cover and not even want to open up the magazine.

And yes, there are dueling models on this July's W cover. Karlie Kloss graces and eerily similar cover. Karlie Kloss is also covering the mag, looking UBER tan (her and Joan almost are the same color) yet pretty.


I swear the side by side is kinda creepy.



Photo Cred: W Magazine

2 comments:

Kami Shade said...

The Fabulous Sequin Bodysuit Super Model Joan Smalls is wearing is by Celebrity Designer Kami Shade' - www.kamishade.com.

Kami Shade said...

The Fabulous Sequin Bodysuit Super Model Joan Smalls is wearing is by Celebrity Designer Kami Shade' - www.kamishade.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...