Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Nailed It: Purple Rain Part II

These nail post of mine are few and far between, I'm hoping to change that now that I've decided to do my own manicures. I've found that since I've started doing my own nails they are so much stronger, and grow really fast. I'm not sure what they do in some of the nail shops when you are only getting (all natural) manicures that damage your nails so much. I've also stop the Gels and Shellac because they do weaken my nails, but I miss them so much mostly because of the nail art aspect. I've been in search of fun things to do other than buying really great polishes when I stumbled on ombre nails, or as my former nail artist Keina called them gradation.
Finished Purple Rain Part II look

I was inspired by one of Keina's first designs she did for me which I called Purple Rain. Once I found a great tutorial on how to, I ran with it. I'm still working on blending the middle color even better (think adding a 4th color would help), but for my first time I don't think I did bad at all. If you'd like to try it follow these directions:


All of these colors were under 2 dollars

What you'll need:
  • 3 Nail Polishes from the same color range one light, medium, and dark ( you can use more than 3 colors as well)
  • Base and top coat ( use the ones you're most comfortable with)
  • Make Up Sponge ( cut into 3 pieces, one piece for each color)
  • Plastic Plate



What to Do:

  1. Apply Base coat
  2. Cut up the makeup sponge into three pieces
  3. Place a small amount of the lightest color onto a plastic plate ( some tutorials show brushing the color directly on the sponge too) and dip the sponge into the polish
  4. Starting from the base of the nail dab the color all the way to the tip
  5. Repeat step 3 with the medium color
  6. Starting from the half way point of the nail dab the color all the way to the tip
  7. Repeat step 3 with the darkest color
  8. Focusing on the tip of the nail dab the color all along the nail tip
  9. Apply Top coat
I know 9 steps seems like a lot, but it literally took me 15 minutes total to complete both hands. The next time, I'll try this type of look using a slightly modified technique. I'm totally loving it and have already gotten compliments, feel free to ask questions in the comments section, if you want to try this look out and need some more help.

1 comment:

Calli said...

I love the ombre effect! I can't wait to try it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...