Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crimes of Fashion: Chain Mess Cigarette Case


Let me first start off with a small disclaimer: There is NO ONE that loves Urban Outfitters like I do, ask my mom she receives my x-mas/birthday wishlist from there annually. With that being said I have to say I’m a smidge disappointed in Urban Outfitters them for stocking a Chain Mess Cigarette Case. While the description does say “vintage inspired cigarette case” and “Padded main compartment- perfect for holding a cell phone of mp3 player” implying that it’s not to be used for cigarette’s the bold title that has the word” cigarettes” in it is giving a totally different description. By the way I’m not some anti-smoking, strip people of their rights person, I think that adults should be able to smoke if they want regardless to my opinions on the act but I know for a fact that Urbanoutfitters.com as well as the Urban Outfitters’ stores are frequented by not just people like me (adults), but those who are under the age of 18. I know what I would say (and what some of you may be saying), it’s up to the parents to “police” their children but lets be real how many times when you were under 18 did you get a little cash from your grandparent, or a gift card for your b-day and allowed to go to the store by yourself? Now while this cigarette case itself isn’t the culprit and isn’t what is proven to cause cancer, or other lung conditions it does on some level glamorize cigarettes/smoking something that Tobacco companies aren’t allowed to do any more, so why should a clothing store? I just think it shows a small lapse in judgment on their part and I just thought I should share that with you all, and I hope this sparks conversations not just in my comment box but also beyond.

5 comments:

jennine said...

omg...i'll just use it for my bubblegum cigarettes, because those don't promote smoking either.

InnyVinny said...

That's an extreme lapse in judgement. UO knows their main demographic isn't of smoking age...terrible.

girlfryeday said...

I have to say that I've noticed a lot more smokers around here lately. Is it suddenly cool again to be a self-indulgent stinker? Hey, I used to smoke A LOT so I'm speaking from experience here. ;) www.nickiefrye.etsy.com

hassam said...

nice article

soccer jerseys said...

I do consider all of the concepts you’ve offered for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for starters. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post….

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...